Traffic Ticket Defense Attorneys
Orlando, Florida
Orange, Seminole, Osceola, Lake & Polk


Our attorneys defend Florida traffic tickets and citations,
primarily in Orange, Seminole, Osceola, Lake & Polk Counties.
 We handle hundreds of citations each year.  We defend
violations such as:

Accident Tickets
Aggressive Driving
Blocking an Intersection or Crosswalk
Careless Driving
Driving While License Suspended
(click here for more
information on DWLS and license suspensions)
Driving without Headlights
Equipment Violations
Expired Driver's License
Expired Tag
Failure to Yield Right-of-Way
Failure to Use Due Care
Failure to Use Turn Signal
Following Too Closely
Improper Lane Change
Improper Passing
Improper U-Turn
No Proof of Insurance
No Registration
Obscured Tag
Passing a Stopped School Bus
Red Light Violations
Seat Belt Violations
(including school/construction zone)
Stop Sign Violations
Stopping on Railroad Tracks
Toll Violations/Failure to Pay Toll
Too Fast for Conditions
Unsafe Equipment
Violation of a Traffic Control Device
(this includes such
violations as running a red light or stop sign, turning in violation
of a sign, etc.)
Window Tint Violations

We focus much of our practice on traffic
tickets and criminal traffic cases.  We don't
just handle tickets occasionally on the side.
 Our attorneys are in traffic court on a
regular basis, and keep on top of changes
in the law and traffic matters that may
affect our clients.  Jill Hampton is the past Chair
of the Florida Bar Traffic Court Rules
Committee, which oversees changes to the
rules that govern traffic court, and has
completed the training program required of
Traffic Court Hearing Officers.

Call now for more information

For more information on having Private Counsel handle your
traffic ticket, contact attorney Jill Hampton, who heads our traffic ticket division, via email:, or by phone: 407-849-2949. You can also fill out the form below and have our office contact you.  We can normally handle your citation without you having to attend court, and payment can be made by credit card over the phone.  Consultations are free and confidential.

You must make an election within 30 days of receiving your citation,
and you must notify the Clerk of the Court in the county where the
citation was issued which election you choose.

Why hire an attorney for a traffic ticket? An attorney who regularly
handles traffic infractions can review your case and advise you as to
your options and the best course of action for you.  We can also
review your citation to make sure it complies with the law, and for
possible defenses.  Our attorneys handle hundreds of traffic
citations each year, regularly appear before the various judges and
hearing officers, and follow of changes in the law, recent decisions,
and trends in sentencing.  Additionally, an attorney is experienced at
knowing what the State must do to prove the elements of your
charge and what defenses do and do not typically work. Your
attorney will attend the hearing for you, and you normally do not
have to attend, keeping you from missing work/school.   You might
especially want to consider hiring an attorney if:

You have a CDL (Commercial Driver's License).  CDL
drivers are not allowed to elect school, so a hearing is your
only chance at keeping the points off;

You have elected school in the last year or a total of five
times, or you do not want to use one of your school elections;

You got a ticket for speeding more than 30 miles per hour
over the speed limit, since this requires a mandatory court
hearing, which an attorney can attend for you.

What if I have already elected school in the last year or used all my elections? If you cannot elect school, then your only option to avoid points is to request a hearing and ask the judge to keep the  points off.  He or she can still order you to attend school, and it does  not count against your elections. We encounter this situation regularly, and we may be able to keep the points off your license by going to court for you.  You might also consider electing a hearing  so that you do not use one of your school elections and save those elections for future tickets.

What is a "withhold of adjudication"? A withhold means that you
may still have to pay a fine and/or attend school, along with other
possible sanctions, but you do not receive any points on your
driving record for that offense. Unless your ticket involved a car
accident, your insurance company normally will not raise your rates
if you received a withhold.

How does the "point system" work?
If you simply pay a ticket or
are adjudicated guilty of a moving offense, you will receive points on
your driving record.  The number of points will depend on the
violation: most moving violations are worth 3 points; speeding 16
mph or more over the speed, running a red light, moving violations
resulting in an accident, and reckless driving are each 4 points;
leaving the scene of an accident with property damage is 6 points;
unlawful speed resulting in an accident is 6 points.  If you
accumulate 12 points in 12 months, your license will be suspended
for 30 days; 18 points in 18 months is a 3-month suspension; and
24 points in 36 months is a 12-month suspension.  The State of
Florida may require that you complete driving classes and pay
reinstatement fees to regain your license.  In addition to possible
point suspension, your insurance is likely to increase if you receive
points.  Therefore, it is a good idea to talk to an attorney when you
receive a citation to discuss your options to avoid points.

What if I have a CDL (Commercial Driver's License)?
most holders of a CDL rely on their licenses to make a living, and
because many commercial drivers' employers do not allow any
points on their driving record, it is important to  avoid having points
assessed.  Unfortunately, drivers with a CDL can no longer elect
traffic school for a moving violation.  Therefore, the only option to
avoid points is to request a hearing on the citation, and ask a judge
or hearing officer to consider a withhold of adjudication.  The
judge/hearing officer can still withhold the points, and impose other
sanctions such as school and fine and court costs.  Our attorneys
are experienced at attending such hearings and striving to keep you
from having points assessed.

What should I do with the traffic ticket(s) I was issued with my criminal charge?
If you have been charged with DUI, DWLS, or
other criminal charges, you may have also received a traffic ticket
such as speeding, red light, etc.  Talk to your attorney about
consolidating them with the criminal charges as one case.  We may
be able to have the associated infractions dismissed as part of the
resolution of your criminal charges.

What is I missed the 30 day deadline to request a hearing?  Call us.  We may still be able to elect a hearing (late fees and driver license reinstatement fees may apply).  We'll go over your case with you and see if it's not too late to set a hearing.


Florida law requires that anyone ticketed for speeding 30 miles per hour or more over the speed limit is required to have a
mandatory court hearing.  Electing school or just paying the ticket is not an option.  However, you can still hire an attorney to handle the court appearance for you, and he or she can appear in court on your behalf, so you don't have to go to court yourself.

In addition, anyone cited for
50 miles per hour or more over the speed limit faces additional penalties, and repeated 50-over
tickets carry criminal penalties.

Younger Driver?
Florida traffic laws for drivers under 18 are more
strict than for adults:
First-Time Driver ("DATA") School.  First
time drivers in the State of Florida are
required to take the Drug Alcohol Traffic
Awareness (DATA) course before applying
for their license.If you receive a moving
traffic conviction while you have a Learner’
s License, the one year period you are
required to hold your Learner’s License
will be extended for one year from the date
of the conviction or until you are 18 years
old, whichever happens first. For an
approved First-Time "DATA" course, click
If you receive 6 points on your driving
record within a 12 month period, your
driving privileges are automatically
restricted to business purposes only for
12 months or until you are 18, whichever
happens first. If you receive additional
points during this restricted period, the
restriction is extended 90 days for each
additional point.
DUI:  If you are under 21 and have a blood
alcohol level of .02% or more, the DMV will
suspend your license for six months for a
first offense, one year for a second
offense.  Refusal to submit to testing
results in a suspension of twelve months
for the first offense, eighteen months for a
second offense. Visit our DUI information
page if you or a loved one is facing a DUI
School attendance:  If you are truant in
your school attendance, your driving
privilege will be suspended until you
provide proof you have attended school for
30 consecutive days.
Tobacco, drug or alcohol possession:  If
you are convicted for possession of illegal
drugs, or alcohol or tobacco products your
license will be suspended.

If you have been charged with Driving While License Suspended ("DWLS"), do not pay or go to court for your ticket without first speaking
to an experienced traffic ticket defense attorney.  Paying these tickets can result in a
5-year suspension of your driver's license.  You will not be told this by the court at the time you pay the ticket--this suspension is done by the State of Florida AFTER these tickets are paid.  The decision how best to handle these charges needs to be  made only after a careful review of
your case and your driving history.